Norway, Sweden / Color / 57' / 2016
in 1909, in an undemocratic Sweden, an unwanted child is born and given the name of Hervor. Her mother is unmarried and driven away from her home. Hervor grows up at shelters and orphanages, unwanted, rejected by society. As an adult she spends her life struggling for social justice. Director Knutte Wester brings his grandmother’s memories to life through handpainted animated images as his film seamlessly incorporates a contemporary world where the rights of marginalised children are no more recognised that they were in Sweden a century ago.
Knutte Wester (1977) is educated at the academy of fine arts in Umeå and Johannesburg. He has exhibited internationally since 2003 and is represented by Gallery Andersson/ Sandström. His debut film was the documentary Gzim Rewind (2012) followed by short film “Dawn in a city without name” who won best Swedish Short at Tempo 2014. In 2015 he won several awards for his artistic work.
Cast & Crew
- direction: Knutte Wester
- Screenplay: Knutte Wester
- Cinematography: Jieun Yi
- Editing: Jesper Osmund
- music: Boris Laible, Santa Ratniece, Peter Bryngelsson, Erik Blennow Calälv, Ludvig Elblaus Knutte Wester, The children at the orphanage Ziemeli
- Sound Design: Boris Laible, Santa Ratniece, Peter Bryngelsson, Erik Blennow Calälv, Ludvig Elblaus Knutte Wester, The children at the orphanage Ziemeli
- Film Cast: Lo Lander Rosén, Frida Sandberg, Viktor Lander, Magnus Nilsson Mäki, Elvira Lander, Adam Gidlund
- producer:: Therese Högberg
- original language: Swedish
- Dawn in a City Without Name (2014)
- Gzim Rewind (2012)