Belgium, Switzerland / Black&White / 106' / 2018
Fortuna, a 14-year old Ethiopian girl who has had no news of her parents since she arrived on the shores of Italy, is temporarily accommodated in Switzerland with other refugees in a hospice at an altitude of 2000m above sea level to overwinter. A community of Catholic canons gives them refuge whilst waiting for their legal status to be sorted out by the Swiss authorities. This is where Fortuna meets Kabir, a 26-year old Ethiopian refugee with whom she falls hopelessly in love. Their relationship develops, hidden from sight of those around them, until the day when Kabir mysteriously disappears following a police raid.
Born in Lausanne, Switzerland in 1975, this self-taught photographer and filmmaker works exclusively in black-and-white. Since 1996, he has been contributing to various magazines as a photo journalist. His debut feature Left Foot Right Foot won numerous prizes including the Swiss Film Award in three categories.
Cast & Crew
- direction: Germinal Roaux
- Screenplay: Germinal Roaux
- Cinematography: Colin Lévêque
- Editing: Sophie Vercruysse, Jacques Comets
- Sound Design: Emmanuel Soland
- Film Cast: Kidist Siyum Beza, Bruno Ganz, Patrick d’Assumçao, Assefa Zerihun Gudeta, Yoann Blanc
- producer:: Ruth Waldburger
- original language: Γαλλικά, Αμχαρικά
- Left Foot Right Foot (2013)
- Icebergs (2007)
- Des tas des choses (2004)